Wednesday, July 1, 2009

K.C.

I left Chunute and on the way to Pittsburg met another eastbound rider. His name was Dave and he was 62 years old. He started in the LA area and was headed to Kentucky to meet his wife. Our speed was compatible so we spent the day on the road together. I stopped in Pittsburg and he went on to Golden City to make up time. He wanted to do the miles so he could stay on schedule. I told him about my bout with the heat the day before and that I needed another light day so I did my 60 and he pressed on. I was a little concerned about his decision but each rider makes his own rules. Pittsburg is a town of about 19,000 and a bike shop. I wanted to get a new set of tires but they didn't have what I wanted but it was a good stop anyway. I got a good nights rest and pressed on to Ash Grove the next day. Ash Grove is a small town of about 1400 with no hotel so I intended to camp. I got directions from a nice lady at the convince store and was headed to the park when I met three other bikers headed west. They were stopping in Ash Grove to camp as well and I told them to follow me to the park. As we started to leave Dave, the 62 year old, rode up. My concern about him pressing on turned out to be accurate. He ran into heat problems the day before and said he almost passed out. He called his wife and she told him not to worry if he didn't make Kentucky when she got there then she'd come pick him up. As the five of us went to the park, Mike, one of the local deputies, stopped us and said the city was opening up the community center for us to sleep in.
It was really great. They gave us access to the swimming pool, community center and provided bottled water and refreshments for us all. I talked at length with the city park director, another Dave, about the benefits of small town living. What a great community they have and I hated to leave the next day, Sunday. No WiFi so I couldn't blog but boy I really enjoyed the whole experience of Ash Grove, Mo. The terrain in Western Missouri is rolling hills with occasionally steep grades but on Sunday the extreme heat subsided and it was a fairly comfortable biking day. Dave and I left early while the westbound group were eating breakfast. My goal for the day was Marshfield. I had a date. My sisters Sandra and Cynthia and a friend Brenda were on a road trip and part of the trip was meeting me in Marshfield. I expected to see them around noon on Monday but 1200 0'clock that night I was pleasantly surprised when they knocked on the door. Oh, no Wifi at the hotel, kinda cheesy so I missed blogging again. The next morning we all jumped into the car and drove to Kansas City to meet Theresa. What a great mid tour R & R. Monday, Tuesday and today are rest days with my family. It has been so great seeing them after being on the road for two months. For a short while all was forgotten, no miles, no bike, no heat, just seeing people I love and have missed. Sandra put it all together and got the ball rolling, put dates and times together and for that I'll always be thankful.
Tomorrow it's over and back on the road but I am renewed and refreshed and ready to finish the tour.

2 comments:

  1. marty says: What a wonderful gift Theresa and family provided you. Your batteries must be fully charged for the remainder of the adventures ahead. Your reports continue to add pleasure and are looked forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see yall got together in Belleville for the 4th!

    ReplyDelete