Friday, July 10, 2009

KFC

Tuesday, having cleverly avoided Jimmy's fate, I crossed the ferry into Kentucky. Before I crossed the Ohio I had breakfast at Jay Gees. When was the last time you saw a Western Omelet on the menu for $3.50? At those prices I wanted to stay and have lunch but decided I better press on. My goal for the day was Sebree. The first Baptist Church and Pastor Bob Hardison and his wife Violet open their doors to cyclists every year. As I traveled Eastward all the West bounders I met said I had stay there. And, they were right. Six other bikers spent the night and we were all treated to a home cooked meal of spaghetti. They've been treating bikers like family for years, never turning anyone away. Their hospitality is legendary. Sadly, during dinner Bob was notified that one of their good friends and church member passed away and Bob went to console the family. I didn't see Bob again, as I rose early and got on the road to Fordsville, 55 miles closer to the coast. There were no hotels or camping spots designated on the map. So, I stopped at the Clerk of Courts and asked if they had a place to camp but the lady referred me to City Hall. I went to City Hall (across the street) and it was closed. As I sat there waiting a truck drove up with golden retriever in the truck bed. I told her the door was locked but about that time someone appeared at the door and said for us to come in. Again I asked about a camping site. She didn't know either but said I could ask the man who cut the grass at the park. The truck lady advised against it. So I left to ponder my fate. When the lady, Penny, came out she asked if I only wanted to camp and said she had a big tree I could pitch a tent under but that she'd have to clear it with her boyfriend, R.D. I followed her to the house and waited for R.D's OK. Having satisfied himself that I wasn't an ax murderer, he gave me the go-ahead to pitch my tent. As I waited for the sun to go down Penny brought out a jug of cold refreshing water which I immediately drank half of it. Later, R.D. came out to meet and satisfy his curiosity. I liked him and soon he was comfortable enough with me that he showed me his Harley, a Heritage Softail. A beauty. Pretty soon I had another jug of water and was in their kitchen eating one of my favorite meals, hot dogs. I pitched the tent and put the fly over it and lucky that I did. It started raining. R.D. offered the couch or the man room next to his Harley but the tent was high and dry. I entered the tent around 10 and lay listening to the rain hit the fly and occasional thunder. Suddenly it was morning and time to go again

No comments:

Post a Comment