Thursday, August 13, 2009

Carry on Wayward Son-----K.


Clean and sober I am, no more pills. I still have some low-level, dull pain but nothing like a month ago. Being off the pain medicine and having an occasional moment of clarity has helped me put the accident and surrounding events back into perspective. I knew before I started the trip that everything was on the table, anything could happen. When I look back on the trip, I can't help but think of the things that could have happened and be thankful. Now, I can't say I've put the dogs of Kentucky out of my mind but after all, dogs are animals and unfortunately a very small portion of people are too. I met both. But you know what? The things I saw, the good people I met, and the experiences I had far out weigh the disappointment of not finishing the trip as scheduled. Now, I'll finished the trip. It's just my nature. My ribs will heal and I'll ride again. But I'll be taking something with me back on the road that, until now, I really didn't fully appreciate. I've got Peeps! I've got backup! My wonderful family, friends near and far, school kids in a classroom in New York and even Coastguard units in Tampa and North Carolina are pulling for me. Thank you all. My short walks are getting longer and I am getting some stamina back. I am not exactly sure but hopefully I can get back on the trail sometime in September. I want to finish before All Hallows Eve.

5 comments:

  1. Give the ribs the time they need, then back in the saddle. My comment on one of your April blogs bears repeating, "You go girl!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Papi-
    For those of you that are curious... it's pronounced pa - pee - with a wee bit of a spanish accent! It is taken from my various trips to Mexico. You've always had "peeps" papi; we are with you in your darkest hour and your greatest triumphs, regardless, you have and always will be loved! This "thang" ain't over, 'till you say it's over! Whether you finish on your birthday or not, you aren't beaten and you aren't finished! Heal my man, heal, and then "ride like the wind..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on Rich! Hopefully you can time it so we can celebrate your birthday at the finish line. I’m diligently training so I can meet up with you for your last few days on the road. I am alternating between 20 and 40 miles per day (well, most days anyway… we’ve had a lot of rain up here lately…). I don’t know if Kristi told you, but I had a close encounter with a dog too recently while riding. Fortunately, it was only a Chihuahua, but man was he fierce!! I could have lost a toe or something! Just to be fair, I had to slow down a couple of times for him to catch up with me, but believe me, he was a tough little sucker!! I still have a lot of training to get in to be able to keep up with you, but I’m determined not to slow you down. Hang in there and hang tough. The quote in Kristi's post reminded me of my favorite philosophical thinker (the great Yogi Berra) who once said “Baseball is 90% mental… the other half is physical." I’m sure that applies to cycling as well! We’re all looking forward to you healing up quickly and getting back on the road!!! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's no time like the present! This is the perfect vehicle to get you back on the road ASAP...Check it out (copy and paste link into your browser) http://tinyurl.com/n5dfml

    It is complete with a doggie deterrent :)
    Carry on! Your Peeps are very proud.
    We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt, glad to see you decided not to take on the ferocious Chihuahua mano y mano. Well done! I think now you're ready to advance to the Dachshund level. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete