Wednesday, April 22, 2009

On the Move

Monday I took the bike and a lot of gear to FedX and shipped it all to Astoria, Or. I am starting there instead of Florence for ease of transportation. That will add about 100 miles to the trip but will give me the opportunity to explore Oregon a little more. Tuesday I left home for a few visits before heading to Oregon. Yesterday I stopped in New Port Richie to visit Kristi and her husband Matt (married on the beach) and today will stop in Gainesville. My oldest daughter lives in gator country, being a ' 75 nole, I'll suffer somewhat just to see her. Thursday we go to NC to visit my sisters, some friends and attend a family reunion. Then on Tuesday 28 April I'll depart Charlotte, NC via USAir for Portland and then on to Astoria.
In the past the "adventure" has been an abstract idea, something to dream about, plan for and something to focus on as a future event. Now the time has come and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have second thoughts. That's a long way. How will the altitude affect me? What about the crime? What happens if a gang of crazed motorcycle riders.....? What about my family, my friends, my dogs? All of these concerns have run through my mind this past week as I prepared to leave Marco yesterday. Am I being selfish? Or am I just denying the fact that I'll be 60 fraking years old in October. I've tossed and turned at three o'clock in the morning trying to answer some of these questions. Sometimes you just have to say, what the heck.

3 comments:

  1. Papi- Go, have fun. Don't deny yourself and opportunity that most of us will never have, or maybe we wouldn't dream of wanting. This is for you. Yeah, maybe a little selfish, but sometimes in life you have to be a little selfish. Wouldn't it be selfish of me to beg you not to go and follow your heart's desire? You've supported me through all my life changing decisions; now it's my turn! I support you, believe in you and will be so happy to come pick you up and never tell a soul or meet you at the end to cheer you on to finish the last mile. You've made so many decisions in your life that got you where you are today and as your daughter I think you've made some awesome decisions! Oh and yeah, you are probably in denial about being a sixty year-old cotton top :) I love you Papi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you are on your way and I hope the experience is as exhilarating as you had hoped. We are all rooting for you back home and anxiously awaiting the "tales of travel!!"

    Love you Bro!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete