Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Release the Hounds




Well I got to Oregon without any problems. The USAir flights from Charlotte to Las Vegas and Portland went without a hitch. Although, I did lose $50 in the terminal in Las Vegas. As we made our approach into Portland I was awed by how green everything was. The grass and trees were lush and just beautiful. After landing I had to get from the airport to the center of town. But, have to say the mass transit system in Portland is great. I caught a train that goes to and from the airport and then a bus that dropped me off at the Amtrak station. Had to wait three hours for the 6:20pm bus to Astoria which put me there at 8:30. Was looking for a cheap hotel while walking in the rain carrying the rest of my gear that I forgot to ship via FedX. I walked till I smelled curry and knew I found the right place. The hotel was right on main street so I went to sleep with the steady roar of angry truckers. No problem, I think my snoring gave good competition. This morning I awoke to 45 degree day and walked to the bike shop. Scott of Bikes and Beyond had my sled ready and all I had to do was repack and go. I thought about staying there an extra day and starting out Thursday but what the heck. I rode pretty much along the coast, but mixed with three very long and steep climbs. The last went from sea level up to 1600'. I rode about 50 miles from Astoria to Manzanita and the last climb made me cry uncle. I wanted to go about 60 miles but I needed a hot shower and something cold to drink and I was afraid if I went further I'd have to call Dan Kendrick for an emergency leg massage. Along the way I crossed the Columbia river, saw the monument on the boardwalk at Seaside that marks the end of the Lewis and Clark expedition, and ate what was billed as "the best Ruben on the planet". Carnegy Grill in NY isn't in danger. Tommorow I'd like to make Sandlake...but.

4 comments:

  1. Great pictures and description of your first day. Almost like being there!!

    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to be out there with you, except for the camping out part. Once you get your mountain legs, you will be so glad you decided to do this. After 4+ years, I still look back and savor most of the trip.


    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. Seeing as Vic and I will be spendng the summer here in Marco, we just may get into more bike riding than we have. You are our inspiration??????? Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Papi - You're doing this... look at you! I hope you know how proud I am of you, go papi go! I have a huge map on my wall in my office and I'm tracking you everyday; all the coasties are stopping by to see where is "Papi" today. I love you, keep staying safe and know we are all there with you, yet we don't feel the leg cramps; THANK GOD!!!

    ReplyDelete