Sunday, June 14, 2009

Breckenridge







I couldn't help it. I left Silverthorne and got on the bike path to Breckenridge and fell in love with the place. So, there was only one thing to do, after biking less than 20 miles I found a B&B and spent the night in Breck. The B&B, Fireside Inn, is a great place, two blocks from Main Street and a great view of the slopes. The Inn is run by an English bloke, Andy Harris and his wife, and for 28 dollars you get run of the house and one of four bunk beds to a room. Lucky for me only one other fellow showed up to share the room. Bad for him because I do have a tendency to snore a fact that one of my misfortune son-in-laws will attest to. After tossing in the bunk I got up early Saturday and climbed Hoosier Pass. I was a little excited and apprehensive about the climb considering the altitude. But, the climb went well. It took me less than two hours to make the climb but when I got to the top, I was stoked. I had some light headiness, and when I got out of the saddle to climb the turns at the switchbacks, I experienced shortness of breath. Other than that, reaching the top of the pass is a sense of elation that will stay with me until I get Alzheimer's I stayed at the top for about 15 minutes savoring the moment and then started the descent. The next ten miles went a lot faster and since I had started so early was able to get some good distance for the day. I managed to make it to Guffey and another B&B.

1 comment:

  1. Good deal!!! You need to get that coat off - flat land, dry hot days ahead!!

    ReplyDelete