Monday, June 15, 2009

Missed Me, Ya Missed Me

I raced to Guffey ahead of another storm. This time I won but not by much. Guffey is a small town off route a mile, and mostly uphill. There was a campground at the bottom of the hill but another biker had told me about this quaint B&B in Guffey. Even though I had biked almost 70 miles and the storm was coming, luckily I chose the climb. I got to the B&B but no one was there. The restaurant across the street, Rita's, was open so I went in and asked about the B&B. Rita called Bill, the owner, and told him a biker was interested in a room. She gave me the phone and I talked with Bill. Apparently Bill was sick but just well enough to offer me the bunkhouse or the Honeymoon Suite. I wish now when I was taking the video I had panned further so you could see the full layout of the B&B. The "Honeymoon Suite" was the main building to the right in the video. Further right was the bathroom, an outhouse. Haven't used one of those since Grandma's. My bunkhouse was a very small one room wooden structure with only enough room for two built-in slats for beds and two chairs. I tried the light switch but wasn't surprised to learn I had no power. I pulled my bike onto the small porch hoping to keep as much rain off of it as I could. About 30 minutes after arriving, the storm came complete with driving rain, wind and hail. I grabbed the camera and caught the tail end of it. After the storm passed I walked the property. What a mess. I don't know why he saved all the old wood but piles of it were everywhere along with old cars, trucks and farm equipment. You can see the old Volkswagen, grateful dead bus in the video which was typical of the condition of everything haphazardly parked around the property. The small building to the right of the bus is the shower. The water was hot and the lights did work. I went into the suite and the brave soles who stay there have none of the comforts of home complete with wooden stove and VCR but no TV or phone. I had gone from Andy the proper Englishman's B&B to Bill's backyard bunk. I never met Bill: he didn't even tell me the price of the bunk but as it turned out concerning the storm, I guess I was lucky. That night I had a great dinner at Rita's (highly recommenced if ever in Guffey, Co.) and the next morning gave her $20 to give Bill. I was sure I over paid and told Rita to keep the difference since she made all the arrangements. Sadly, I departed Guffey yesterday and made it to Pueblo. Today was a rest day. I cleaned the bike, washed clothes and shipped some cold weather gear home. I don't think I'll be needing thermal underwear for the remainder of the trip. I checked my odometer, I've pedaled over 2,000 miles since leaving Astoria.

3 comments:

  1. You should have stayed in the VW bus with the skull and bones on it--probably wouldn't have cost more than 2 bits--4 bits with a mattress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have renamed you - Richard Gump ---I ride and I ride and I ride and I ride some more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2,000 Miles?!! Hercules, Hercules! Go the distance!You can do it!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lenkR5XzSJc

    (Copy and paste in browser to watch).

    P.S.--VW looks familiar...

    ReplyDelete