Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hot Sulphur Springs







From Walden to Hot Sulphur Springs the trip was pretty uneventful. I spent most of the day on back road 125 shared with logging trucks and climbing over Willow Creek Pass, elevation 9'621'. It rained off and on during the day and when I got to the top of the pass, the rain turned to snow.I took a picture but I am not sure you'll get the full impact of the event. By the way, most of the truck drivers are great but some are just down right rude. Anyway, I turned on Hwy 40 and finally had a wide shoulder and only seven miles to Hot Sulphur Springs. Again the early afternoon headwinds kicked in. I think those seven miles were worse than climbing the pass. At least in a climb you have momentary reprieves but with the wind it just blows. Luckily the first hotel I came to was reasonably priced and were good accommodations. The Ute Trail Hotel, where I stayed, had an arrangement with the Hot Springs Resort. The resort is built at natural hot water pools where it is said the Ute Indians used to bath in the sacred waters to clean there spirit, body and soul. The resort has over 20 different hot pools to bath in and other grander pools that offer special pampering. Since it was rainy and bad, I decided to stay and take my rest day there. This morning I got up early so I could avoid the afternoon winds. Funny me. I looked out and it was raining so I laid back down and waited for it to stop. It didn't. So, around eight thirty I decided to leave anyway. Kremmling, the next city, was only 15 miles away so I thought I'd go for it and see how the weather was. It rained off and on, mostly on, the entire day but never a hard driving rain. Just enough to keep my eyes locked on the road and my camera warmly stowed away. Did I mention some truck drivers are rude. One nice fellow wanted me to have a clean bike so he came as close as he could and gave me a high pressure washing. It was good for my bike but I had to hand wash the seat of my pants when I got to the hotel. Tonight I am in Silverthorne just ten miles from Breckenridge and 27 miles from the top of Hoosier Pass. Hoosier Pass is my LAST pass to climb in the West. After Hoosier I start down to Pueblo and on to Kansas.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm..."Hot Sulphur Springs". Always figured I'd be spending eternity in a place with lots of those. As for truck drivers...I'll say it...

    While I happen to know a guy who was one, and he is a great guy, as a group I think truck drivers are a bunch of knuckle-dragging hill billies. But, the beer isn't gonna take itself to Wal-mart. So all I can say is, good luck dealing with the "noble knights of the highway".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you made it over the pass without trouble and are safe and sound. You should be getting half way if you aren't already there. I'll ensure our truck drivers get the speech on how to treat cyclist in Va.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Papi-
    While in Colorado, do think you have room in your saddle bags to carry back some "Fat Tire Amber Ale", take a tour of the brewery or have a tall cold one for me?

    Matt was wondering if you still have your wad of $2 bills since leaving the hot springs resort that has "grander pools with special pamperings"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marty said...
    I have read and enjoyed reading all of your postings. I am in awe of the what you have done and how you dealt with all you have faced.In particular, the daily adjustments you have to make for weather, available supplies, campsites or other lodging; not to mention animals, people and truckers. I have told Jean she will have to move over and make room for you on the pedestal I put her on after her BAA.
    Fond regards,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rich:

    Matt just told me about your trip. Hope you are having a good time.

    Deanna from Marco

    ReplyDelete