Saturday, June 6, 2009

Rawlins










Had a good rest in Lander. So, this morning I got up ready to go. The forecast was for light rain so I had the covers on my saddlebags and wore my rain jacket. Didn't rain. Out of Lander most of the morning was was spent going up and down rollers and fighting a mean crosswind. There was a pretty good shoulder on the road and with the crosswind, I used every bit of it. The wind must have been 20 to 25 with some gusts higher and would sometimes blow me onto the main road. Going down hill as speed picked up and the crosswind gusts hit the bike, it almost knocked the bike out from under me a couple of times. Not wanting to pick small bits of gravel out of my arms, I did the prudent thing and slowed my descent. I was traveling 287 south but when the road turned to the left it gave me a quartering tailwind so I was able to make pretty good time when that occurred. I got to Jeffrey City earlier than expected and to take advantage of the tailwind, I pressed on. Didn't take any pictures since most of the terrain looks about the same but I did see a lot of antelopes along the road and in the pastures. A couple of stores and camping sites marked on my map were closed so I ended up being in the saddle longer than I wanted to (over eight hours). I made good time and advanced a day ahead but I paid for it. I found a new place to put a blister on my rear and my neck and back are stiff. Oh well Motrin and butt cream will help and tomorrow I am going to wear two pair of biking shorts to cushion my tush.

3 comments:

  1. Butt cream?? I think, as the young folks like to say, that is "too much information." Spare me those visual images, please!

    By the way Kato, "that is not my dog."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now we not only have to worry about your knee, we have to worry about your tush? Damn

    Pat & Vic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marco Island has a great massage therapist named Dan. Perhaps he can help you with all of these aches and pains. Pilot Roy can fly him out there. Help is on the way!

    ReplyDelete