Thursday, June 18, 2009

Totoville


Departed Pueblo Tuesday rested, going downhill, and for the first time in a long time, with a tailwind. Life was good, so good I was able to ride 110 miles to Eads, about 25 miles short of Kansas. Along the way I passed three riders. One was another young man from Holland, the second was a 62 year old man, Jim, who was supported by his wife and finally Dane. Dane is young 20 something, young man from NC. I think he said he lived in Silva near Hendersonville. When I told him I was from Shelby he said his father grew up in Shelby and graduated from Shelby High. Dane's last name was Randall and said he thought his father was 56. Didn't recognize the name but what are the odds of meeting someone in the middle of the US on a bicycle with close ties to Shelby. It was a good day. Wednesday was more of the same. Weather was clear with the same quartering tailwind. I crossed into Kansas just East of Sheridan Lake and around noon reached Tribune about 60 miles for the day. I only met one couple Wednesday. They were German, riding a tandem and we talked for about 15 minutes. I told them about places to stay and they told me about Kentucky and the dogs. Apparently, the Kentucky boys sit on the porch and sic their dogs on bike riders. The couple said the dogs come in packs and really scared the sauerkraut out of them. They even gave me a can of pepper spray to use when I reach Kentucky. Today was a bikers dream. Other than the same flat scenery, I couldn't ask for better conditions. From Pueblo through Kansas it's a slight downhill grade and today the winds really pushed me down the road. Hopefully the winds will stay out of the West. Also, today was Transamerica day. I passed the official supported group as they made their way to Scott City. The wind was against them and most were struggling. I stopped and talked with the first two I met. They complained about the headwind and said it was the first day they had to deal with it. I was so sorry. Also, they said they were the first of 13 that I would see heading East. The group of 13 were spread out about 10 miles from the first two I met to the tailwind Charlie. I did want to talk to the couple on the tandem, recumbent and see how they were fairing but I got my answer when they wouldn't stop even though I moved to their side of the road. It must really be tough in the hills on a recumbent. When I got a mile outside of Dighton, my destination, I felt my back tire going flat. Enough air stayed in it to allow me to reach the hotel. I had about 1700 miles on the tires so this afternoon I put a new set of Continentals on my iron horse and readied it for tomorrow's ride. Life was good today. I entered Central Time Zone and had a flat tire and it wasn't raining.

4 comments:

  1. Get you a paintgun. Send those dogs running with welts on them and then turn it on the in-bred morons sitting on the porch. That'll send their banjos and whittlin' sticks flyin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not having any luck sending you a message. Will see if this gets through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this worked. Having trouble getting a message through. Hope you didn't send your warm gear home too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about stocking up on doggie treats? It's kind of hard to eat and run at the same time!

    ReplyDelete