Wednesday, September 23, 2009

One more to go

Sorry it's been so long since my last blog, but Western Kentucky is tough to plan. When I departed Hazard I thought I had at least two B&Bs to choose from. As it turned out I had neither. So I had to scurry when I reached Hindman. What a mistake. I stayed in the worst hotel you can imagine. I didn't even want to sleep under the covers. To make matters even worst I had to bike up hill two miles to sleep in a dump. I even had some drug user walk in my room while I was watching TV. What a surprise and it wasn't a mistake on his part. If I hadn't been there all my stuff would have been gone. The next morning I got up early and hit the road as fast as I could. I had planned on camping and headed to Elkhorn City. Unfortunately I got some wrong directions from two different people and ended up stuck. Do I backtrack five miles or go down the busy, narrow and curvy road. As I was pondering my dilemma Jamie and his son Cody intervened and offered me a space in their yard. They saved the day for me and even entertained me that night. They both play the guitar and the banjo. However, Cody mainly plays the banjo. They call themselves the Hilltop Boys and often play in the local area. Cody is a Sophomore and has been playing since he was ten years old and Jamie for about 25. They were both quite good. The next morning I had biscuits and gravy and Jamie dropped me off back on the road I should have been on before I got off track. I am indebted to both. They reestablished my faith in the good folks of Kentucky. After being dropped off I headed to Council where I pitched a tent in Harris Park thanks to Karen Taylor. She is the Principal at the local high school and like some other one-time Principal I know, very efficient. Today I got up early and made it to the woods. My map said B&B right off of the highway. Yeah, 1&1/2 miles straight up. I was totally exhausted when I reached the top of the hill, but I have to admit, the view is wonderful. Next time out I think I'll use more recent maps. Gotta cut it short as I have no electric and losing power.

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! Your amazing!!! Keep on trucking...or should I say ducking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard, just dropping in to see how you're doing. You're visit with us was very interesting and inspiring. I'm glad to see you're making some progress , I know the hills in Virginia are big'uns , hehe.
    Jamie......Pikeville,Ky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marty said...
    Rich doesn't your GPS have a POI feature to list B & B s near your location? Your progress continues to keep us on the edge of our chairs watching and reading.

    ReplyDelete