Wednesday, September 2, 2009

September When It Comes- J.C.

How, or maybe better asked, when do we really know someone? Is it after living with them 40 or more years? Watching and studying their every move. Or can it be right after meeting them, having an intimate conversation, walking away and saying to yourself, "Gee I feel like I've known her all my life". And how much is enough? I saw a program on Primetime last night about a man who lost 90 million dollars in high-end real estate. On the program, he was auctioning away a lot of prized possessions including antique cars, great masters paintings and five homes. When asked how he felt about losing all of his luxuries he simply stated, never better. He went on to say, what did I need all that stuff for, who needs five homes anyway, you can only live in one at a time. Also, he added how simplified his life had become without all the trappings. Of course he still had 10 million in assets so he wasn't destitute but the fact was, he had a major lifestyle change. And when asked how long it took to realize that fact, he thought a minute and said, 65 years. Does it take us that long? Maybe it does unless life events intervenes, shakes us up and puts it all in perspective for us. Today I lost a friend. I had known this person about 50 years but really didn't know her at all till last year. Why? She explained it to me, it was simple. We just have so much time she said, and we choose how we use that time and with whom we will share it. This year she chose to share some of her precious time with me. And how lucky I am that she did. Thank you Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment