Sunday, September 27, 2009

R & R

Yesterday was a rest day and lucky that it was. If you watched the Miami/Virginia Tech game you know that it rained hard most of the day. Oh, too bad Miami lost... not! While the game was being played I was on a field trip with my sister to eat oysters. Since we were far from the coast before I was willing to go with her, I wanted to make sure that we were going to eat the seafood type of oysters and not mountain oysters. Being given that assurance, I rode with my sister and Becky to Waynesboro, Va. for an oyster feast put on by the Ruritans. Last year I was told that the occasion fed 1500 people. I believe it because, in spite of the rain, we had to wait almost 45 minutes to be seated. After we got out seats, we were treated to a buffet of fresh vegetables and fried oysters, well worth the three hour drive. Today was a great biking day. Pat, The Real Man, drove me back to Marion so I could take up where I left off on Thursday. At first it was a little cloudy and cool, but after I had been on the road for an hour there was nothing but clear skies and good biking. Ideal conditions but the terrain is still up and down and as I get further North the hills are getting steeper. I did cheat a little today which made the biking even more enjoyable. Since my plan today was to bike from Marion back to my sisters house, I rode sans panniers. Talk about a big difference. I felt like I was flying. Tomorrow I think I'll ride again without the gear but I have to be careful, it would be very easy to get lazy. Also tomorrow I'll close out map eleven, one more to go.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you needed to do some biking after all of that wonderful food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rich, from what Jean told me about riding with you on Marco, we are going to insist you ride with loaded paniers when you ride with us.
    Only one more map to go- WOW!

    ReplyDelete