Friday, September 25, 2009

Rest Day


I made it to the top of the mountain by pushing, pulling, and tugging my bike most of the mile and a half to the campsite. By the time I got to the top of the mountain I was totally exhausted and dehydrated. The family that lives there and runs the campground was really nice. I didn't meet the husband till the next morning but the wife and two young sons were very friendly. But had I known it was that difficult to get up to the place I would have passed it by. I could have reached the next town by the time I got to the campsite. The next morning I met John and he offered me a ride back down the dirt road. I am glad he did since I probably would have fallen down because of the rocks on the gravel road. After leaving the campground I made it to Marion about 60 miles from my sister's home in Christiansburg. To be honest I was ready for a break. Yesterday completed eight days of biking with a lot of uphill/downhill on the sleep gained while sleeping on the ground. Not to mention that most of my clothes have been wet for a week. I needed to wash, rest and de-louse. I called Sandra and said I was getting a hotel in Marion and resting there for a couple of days. Lucky for me she wouldn't let that happen. She drove to Marion and plucked me from the road and brought me back to air conditioning and home cooking. Last night I went to bed around 7:30 and slept till eight o'clock. I probably could have slept till noon. Today I cleaned the bike, got my clothes washed and generally rested. Today was also my sister's anniversary so to celebrate we all went out to eat at the Farmhouse, a local steak house. After resting today, I almost have feeling back in my legs and can walk without stooping over. Tomorrow the forecast is for more rain and temperatures in the low 50s. I am stubborn but..I think I'll take another day.

3 comments:

  1. Papi-
    There's no better rest place than your sister's! I missed you only by a week, but I hear there is a "real man" there to pick at you! Take a ride on the gator for me, I sure miss being there!
    Love ya Papai!
    Kritter

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! I found your blog through your daughter Eve. I am also an artist and Eve and I chat via email. You are on my prayer list now and I will enjoy your continued trip.

    ReplyDelete