Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Buchanan


Today there was no rush. In fact, I was dreading the ride today when I started packing this morning. I told you it was easy to get lazy and after being picked up and dropped off without the panniers Sunday and Monday, today I put them back on. I did however, eliminate some unnecessary gear which lightened my load. My more than perfect son-in-law (The Real Man)quickly and accurately pointed out that since I didn't carry my gear from Marion to Catawba, I couldn't claim an unsupported trip across America. I'd agree with that however, I kinda felt like the unsupported moniker ended somewhere between Bardstown and Danville, Kentucky. So be it. After parring my gear, Sandra drove me to my last Spot position, Catawba and I took off in less than ideal conditions. It was overcast and windy which made the 60 something degree temperature seem much worse. The winds were blowing NW at about 5 to 10G15. Had it not been for the wind, the day would have been enjoyable especially after Troutville. (It was mostly downhill.) I rode yesterday and today mostly down the Roanoke Valley between two mountain ranges, a scenic view with farm land and rolling hills. The picture was taken outside my doorway at the Wattstull Court Motel. Tomorrow is a climbing day and Lexington or further is my goal. Getting close to the Parkway and June Curry, "The Cookie Lady".

5 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention the thirteen miles an hour today with the saddlebags. Rest up - the monster mountain awaits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Papi - The real man, ssshhheeelll man... you know what when the lazy one decided to get up on their arses and even make an attempt to do what you have done in this last year, then they might have some bragging rights, but how I see it, what real men just simply do it, not continually point out what they think other real men aren't doing... I say if you aren't prepared to bring yourself to the table as an example, then you might not no what exactly you're picking on someone for, especially since maybe "the real" man couldn't have done half of what he's done already, so give it a rest, or we can take it out back!!!! You give my dad grief and I'm going to give it right back - so beware
    I love you papi! You are almost done and yes, it's a complete trip in my eyes...
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go Rich!!! I’m sorry we missed seeing you at your sister’s place by only a week. I’m not buying into the “unsupported trip” theory… it’s been a tough road, you’ve overcome a ton of obstacles and seeing that you’ve picked up where you left off with four broken ribs has definitely earned you some points in my book! Just keep your eye on the goal and know that we are all with you. Hope VA is treating you well. I was looking at the picture you posted and believe that the sharp looking mountain in the background may be Flat Top… one of the Peaks of Otter that I climbed with my two sons on Labor Day 2007. The Blue Ridge Parkway is absolutely beautiful… I rode a 70-mile stretch of it a while back and had a fabulous time. Just keep an eye out for dogs…. I had a pack of the ferocious beasts chase me during my ride. (No, they were not Chihuahuas). Luckily I was at the top of a mountain and they couldn’t keep up on my descent at 40 mph. Just be careful and keep the dog spray ready. Have a cookie for me and remember that this is a trip of a lifetime. Kristi and I are leaving for Mexico this weekend, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed that our paths will meet up when I get back. Keep sending those GPS Spots and I’ll try to coordinate a rendezvous. Hang in there…

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the "Real World",a "Real Man" rides accross America with or without panniers.Keep the sprit. I'm behind you wherever this, or any other adventure takes you....up and over the mountains,thur the valleies,and to the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's what you can say to "Real Man"!

    (Copy and paste code into your browser)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57yUVBxt5cU

    ReplyDelete