Saturday, October 10, 2009

on the move



Thursday my doctor's appointment was at 8:15. Russ said he didn't see any reason why I couldn't resume biking if I felt strong enough. That was all I needed. I had been sitting around almost a week and was really getting anxious to get underway. As soon I got back to my sister's house I got my bike and gear packed and we headed to Afton. When we got to Afton I had to make one more try to see June Curry, the Cookie Lady. This time she was sitting on the steps and even though still sick with the flu and 89 years old, her light blue eyes twinkled when she spoke of the many cyclists she has met. I took a tour of the house she offers bikers as they pass through Afton. The house is filled with cards and memorabilia from bikers back to 1976. Almost every inch of the four room house is covered with a card, letter or a token left behind by bikers to commemorate their stay with the cookie lady. After talking with June I was stoked and ready to continue my ride. It was only about 30 miles to Charlottesville so it was a great way to ease back into the game. I think all of Virginia is either going up or down so by the I got to Charlottesville I was ready to rest. I said goodbye to my sister around 5pm with mixed emotions. She was a tremendous help and had it not been for her I'd probably be on the side of the road with my legs kicking fruitlessly in the air. Anyway, I checked into the Red Roof Inn just past the college in Charlottesville and got a good nights sleep. Yesterday I got an early start. Now loaded with my panniers and gear I was on my own again. I rode about 20 miles and passed three bikers headed West. Odd, I thought for it's pretty late in the year to be headed West. About five miles further down the road I came to an intersection with a store to my left. I saw two bikers there and thought it a good time for a rest. Turns out the bikers were two English blokes from the London area. They started the first part of August near San Diego and were finishing in Yorktown. Prior to my arrival they had talked with the three bikers I saw. The three were young Germans and were planning to bike the TransAmerica and end it in San Francisco in December. I didn't think it possible with the weather out West and the blokes agreed since a lot of the passes close by November. After we discussed the Germans fate, they suggested an alternate, more direct route to Richmond. Since my goal has been narrowed to just biking across America, the shortened route sounded pretty good. The scheduled route out of Charlottesville went South then North with numerous road changes along very narrow back roads. Even though the road wasn't heavily traveled when the cars did come, they came fast and had there been cars going the opposite direction, it would have been very interesting. So after weighing my options I decided I would follow Steve and Dave's lead and go the more direct route. In so doing I was able to get just West of Richmond and a hotel for the night but I paid for it. The downside was a 70 mile bike ride. By the time I got to my room I was spent. Today the forecast was 50% chance of rain with clearer weather tomorrow. Also, tomorrow is Sunday so the traffic through Richmond should be minimal. Therefore, I elected to rest today and start again tomorrow. I probably have 15 miles through Richmond and another 50 miles to go East of Richmond. Getting close but I'll probably take two days to finish.

4 comments:

  1. You hippie you!!! I love you papi and I'm so proud of what you've accomplished! Matt is prepared to take you to the barber shop there at the airstation upon your arrival :) Oh and be prepared to sleep like you're at a hostel, Matt does when he's there! Take care of my hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did ya get a cookie? I guess the one with the short hair in the picture is June? (As Kristi said, "You hippie you!")

    Keeping the end of "Easy Rider" in mind, if some redneck drives up alongside of you and asks, "Why don't you get a haircut?", remember to mind your manners and keep both hands firmly on the handle bars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray!!!! Your almost there. I think a hair styling appointment is in order.Just be sure you tuck the hair inside the helmet,so you can see the finish line. Be safe !!
    Even though I'm not going to be there as you cross the finish line...I am there in sprit....Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! I have enjoyed your comments on the journey even if I did start reading toward the end of the journey.

    ReplyDelete