Thursday, October 1, 2009

VMI




Got into Lexington yesterday early enough to do some sight seeing. I stopped by the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery and toured the campus of VMI. The local brochure tauts VMI as the West Point of the South and the only military academy that actually had a unit fight in a war. About half of the graduates go on and enter the military. It really is a beautiful campus with stately old buildings in a town rich in Southern history. I wanted to go to the Chapel where Robert E Lee is interned but it closes at five and I missed it. Going into Buchanan the other day and bucking that wind took more out of me than I thought. I was quite chilled and it took me about two hours to warm up. Likewise yesterday when I got to Lexington, I just couldn't get warm. About 5:30 my sister called and asked how I was doing. She then surprised me and said she was driving to Lexington. When she arrived we went for a quick dinner. While at dinner I guess I complained too much about the cold in Virginia. She put her hand on my forehead and said I felt feverish. Well she wouldn't have it any other way, we had to go get a thermometer and take my temperature. Well the trail God is not finished with me yet. I did have a pretty high temperature but was able to get it down enough to take a short ride today. I only got in 18 miles but that puts me at the foot of my last big climb in Virginia. I am still fighting the fever but hopefully I can ride tomorrow and then take a rest.

2 comments:

  1. Papi -
    Have I ever told you how awesome you are in your awesomeness? You are truly the first man I ever loved, and in the words of Dr. Martin Luther King... "I have been to the mountain top..." You are simply amazing. Keep it up and keep it between the navigational beacons... I love you Papi - Kritter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, you are an inspiration to all who know you, and I think your just a bit "crazy".You don't know the meaning of "I can't or I won't".Only someone with you determination could keep on trucking in the face of all the obsticals...physical,mental,geographical,and weather,that you have had to deal with. I for one am counting the days,waiting for you to return home safe.

    ReplyDelete