Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wait, wait & wait

Went to the doctor, now known as Russ since I have become a regular patient, on Monday. I told him my temperature had stabilized Sunday and the emergency room doctor thought I'd be ready to bike within 24 hrs. after stabilization. He just laughed and said well I disagree. Dr. Davis is old school and I am sure has seen a lot of pneumonia cases throughout his years living in Virginia. When he asked me when I was leaving I told him that depended on what he said because I was going to finish the trip as soon as he cleared me. Come see me again on Thursday was his response. So for the last couple of days I have just been resting at my sister's house and pondering my fate. I need to finish this trip/adventure/saga, whatever it has become before it gets much colder. I am ready to be home and I know being away has been difficult on my family. When I look back, it really burns me that I couldn't finish in July. Not because of something I did, a missed gear or I took a curve too fast, but I was robbed of a significant emotional event because a dog owner didn't keep his pets under control. Bummer. Now I just want to finish the trip whereas before the fall, I would have really enjoyed the last two states. There's a lot of history in Virginia but I'll probably miss most of it in my haste to finish.

6 comments:

  1. After all you've been through, there isn't much anyone can say, as none of us have been where you are now (figuratively speaking). Some other guy might quit, knowing he gave it a shot and his friends/family wouldn't blame him. But you won't---to your credit.

    Maybe Kent can get you in touch with Steve Arrington so he can give you "the Blackhawk speech".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right,those virginia nights are getting colder,and you don't have Fifi,Gidget,Pandi,or me to keep you warm at night. Hurry home so we can cuddle. It has been hard on all of us,but we're still,barking,licking,wagging,growling,and cheering you on to the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just heard about you trip and hope things start going your way You deserve to finish. Be careful of your pneumonia, it can take some time to recover. I have had it twice in the last year. Next year take a motorhome with all your family and bikes on the back.
    I wish you luck, Rich.
    Bill Dunnuck

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so rare that things go as planned but I admire you for hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Papi - I miss you bunches and I can't wait to see you when I get home to Florida - Next year, come to Mexico with Matt and I he needs a diving buddy so he can go to Cozomel! Mom and I can find our way to a spa or lounging by the beach, I promise it will be fun! That's the trip I want you to take with me! I love you and I'm so happy you are safe! I miss you and have missed you, but the best part is, YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED WHAT YOU SET OUT TO DO! KUDOS! Love ya Papi!!! :) I'll be talk to you soon enough!!
    Kritter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rich, you have prevailed thru so much c--- and now the end is near. Looking forward to seeing you on Marco soon. God Speed.
    Marty

    ReplyDelete