Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Yorktown - A promise made is a debt unpaid...RS



If you haven't already, I suggest if you get the opportunity, visit Williamsburg and the surrounding Virginia area. Jamestown, the first American colony is only nine miles away and Yorktown where the decisive battle that won our independence from King George is just 13 miles away. Not only should you visit for the historical significance but it is a beautiful area with old Virginia charm. However, charm was not what I was thinking about as I rode the 13 miles into Yorktown. I had mixed feelings. I was elated the trip was finally coming to an end and I could go home. But, I was also a little sad that all of a sudden it was over. Now what? Five years of thinking about it, two plus years of planning and about six months of my life devoted to doing it and now poof it's gone. As I rode across the U.S. and especially Kentucky and Virginia my mantra was simply, keep moving. Run Forest Run....Stop! Well, I've stopped. What do I do now? How do I turn it off, the go button. Before I got back on the road in September, I made a promise to someone that I'd finish the trip. Now that the debt is paid I should be able to rest but for how long. I owe you one more blog entry so when I get home tomorrow hopefully I can make sense of it all.

3 comments:

  1. Hurray!!! You did it!! This is a prime example of how small daily efforts can result in enormous achievements. You are a great inspiration to me! There's a short video I created for you on my blog...
    http://www.artbyeve.blogspot.com/
    (copy and paste into browser)
    Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Rich. A ride WELL done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Rich. I see you are back on "the island", so the journey is officially complete. From me and Jane and Ivy, WTG!

    ReplyDelete