Sunday, October 11, 2009

Williamsburg



Got a good rest in Short Pump (no jokes) yesterday so today I was ready to roll. Short Pump is actually a suburb 12 miles NW of Richmond city center. I started early, about 7:15, so I could avoid heavy traffic and since today was Sunday I breezed through the city. I was almost through the city and only needed to make one turn onto US 5 when I saw another biker headed East on the road above me. I was a little uncertain as to which road to take and connect onto US 5 so I fell in behind him. He was from Quebec and was headed to Texas following Adventure Cycling maps down the Atlantic Coast to Jacksonville then turning West. He had been on the road for about three weeks and was on his first tour. He was a nice young fellow but due to the amount of gear he was hauling his pace was a little slow. He did however offer me a look at his map and lucky for me we were on the road that turned into route 5. We were only together about two miles when the road split and I took US 5 and he turned North. At that point I had about 50 miles to go. 50 miles, but it was a great day to bike. The sun was shining and the temperature was around 70 degrees. And oh yes there is some level ground in Virginia. Aside from a slight headwind, the day was ideal for biking and for the first time in a long time I really enjoyed being on the bike. Around Charles City I ran across another biker. He started in Maine and was going down to the Outer Banks and ending his trip on Tybee Island. He was riding a road bike with no gear and was assisted by his wife in the Sag, Hag, Nag wagon. I told him based on my experience he was probably doing it the right way. After we parted ways I had about 20 miles to Williamsburg and since it was pretty much level I made good time arriving around 2:30. I found a red dot hotel, got a good meal and now it is time to rest for tomorrow. Tomorrow. I have biked over 4000 miles and tomorrow it's 13 miles to Yorktown. Yorktown is the end of the line. Maybe it's time to think about travel arrangements.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Rich. You make the old fat guys sitting around home riding 15 miles a day very proud.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw from the spot you made it to the finish line!! Congratulations and way to go!! We love you Bro!!!

    ReplyDelete