Sunday, October 4, 2009

What, no cookie!

Got up early Friday morning feeling pretty good so I decided to get the mountain out of the way. Turns out it wasn't quite as bad as I thought. Don't get me wrong, I needed frequent rest stops during the climb and a long rest at the top but it could have been worse. The touring map stated that there was a four mile steep climb but the first two miles were less steep than the last two. After reaching the parkway the work wasn't finished. The overcast sky and windy conditions didn't make for a leisurely ride. And unfortunately, the leaves have only the least bit of color change so the view was not as spectacular as it can be. But, having the last climb of the trip behind me, I made my way to Afton and the Cookie Lady. June Curry has three buildings on her property, from West to East: her home, an old building that was probably a store at one time, and a house she allows bikers to overnight in on their way across country. There is also a sign that directs you to her back door but hard to see if you are traveling West to East. I went to the door only to see a sign she had posted. The sign said,[ I have a cold and I took a pill and laid down for a nap. If you want a room for the night ring the bell and sit down. I am old and move slow and I'll get there as quick as I can.] I wasn't planning on spending the night so there was no way I could disturb a sweet old lady like her. Hopefully, when I resume my trek I'll get to meet her. As of now I am not sure when I'll start back. Friday after Afton my sister picked me up and took me back to her house to rest. Friday night my temperature reached 104 and my niece, Fran, threatened me with 911 if I didn't get in the car with my sister and go to the hospital. As it turns out, I am stubborn. Bottom line, I have a mild case of double pneumonia. Tomorrow I go back to the doctor for a follow-up and will have a better idea how long my rest period will be. It just gets better and better.

3 comments:

  1. Wishing you a very quick recovery and a dozen cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have visions of you passing out and falling across the finish line---but crossing it none-the-less!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you are stubborn!!!! Thank goodness for Sandra and Fran,or you'd be delerious on a bicycle,somewhere between the mountains and the deep blue sea......or you might be resting with the "Cookie Lady". Be patient dear, your time will come to complete your oddessy,and I know you will.

    ReplyDelete