Friday, May 29, 2009

Ground Floor




I left Dillon and rode to Virginia City. Unfortunately, it's a big tourist stop and since the weather was good all rooms were taken. Nevada City, about a mile away, and Virgina City still maintain the look of the old West. I took a picture of an old train in Nevada City but that one picture really doesn't give you the whole flavor of the town. The towns are very close but because Virginia City is the Capitol Seat, they seemed to get all the business. Since I couldn't get a room I found an RV park just outside of town and bedded down for the night. It was the best night camping so far. I was comfortable, felt safe and the night was clear. The next morning I had a two and a half mile climb out of the canyon and rode to Campfire Lodge Resort. It was a 65 mile day but it put me only about 25 miles from West Yellowstone. The lodge offered cabins but I camped again since the weather was good. On the way to the Campfire Lodge I passed Earthquake Lake, formed in 1959 when an earthquake knocked down the side of a mountain killing 28 people and forming the lake. After Quake Lake I passed Hebgen Lake and caught a herd of Long Horn Sheep grazing along the road. They stayed still. Earlier in the day I saw two herds of antelopes and tried to take their picture but every time I stopped they ran. Must be the bike. I've seen a lot of wildlife including at breakfast this morning at the lodge. I was eating one of the biggest pancakes I've ever seen in my life when a big screen/TV actor walked in. He didn't recognize me so luckily my breakfast was undisturbed. I promised Jim, the owner of the Campfire Lodge , I wouldn't use the actor's name since he enjoys anonymity. But just goes to show you they are people too and enjoy the same things we do. Why most Americans are hung up on celebrities is beyond me. Real heroes don't read lines. After breakfast I had a leisurely 25 mile ride into West Yellowstone, just outside of the park. Today was my fifth day on the bike so before I head into the park I am going to take a rest day. There might be rain in the forecast...ugh.

2 comments:

  1. So now we know where Elvis is! It's probably a good thing he didn't recognize you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Richard! Sure looks like you are having fun. The pictures are beautiful. Take care! Benny & Joyce

    ReplyDelete