Sunday, May 17, 2009

White Bird




None! Not one person. Nary a sole in Oregon used their car window as a megaphone. How is it that already three people in Idaho think I can understand what they are yelling when I am going 20mph and they are going 65 mph in the opposite direction. Why? Why do Idahoans yell out the window? Maybe they were warning me about the crickets. After 65 miles today I called it a day and signed in at the White Bird Motel in White Bird, Idaho. The lady that signed me in was nice and recommended either of the only two restaurants in the 110 person town. So, I stopped at the first one, The Silver Dollar. Dr Hook may have had something to do with the choice. Anyway, the cook/waitress sternly informed me I was only entitled to one refill of Mountain Dew. OK. Now, before I left my room I checked for WiFi and found three secured sources. So, on the off chance that the Silver Dollar was one of them, I took my laptop with me. Mistake number two. I asked the cook/waitress if they had WiFi. No. Is there anybody that sells WiFi access. Nobody has WiFi she says. Hmmm.
As I ate my burger and fries the cook/waitress' daughter and another portly man came in and started talking about computers and the man even talked about his laptop and WiFi. I get it. I am not one of them and I think I hear a banjo in the distance. When I went to pay my tab, the daughter took my money. I discreetly asked her if someone had WiFi that I could pay for access. She looked at the cook/waitress and then said no. The cook/waitress said again no one has WiFi. I couldn't stop the words, they just oozed out. Well if nobody has it why do I get three secured sources? Stare...Stare...Then I said who is Angels Nook. Oh that's the RV park behind the hotel. Thank you! I knocked on the door of the RV park and they were as nice as could be. I even had to insist they take a couple of dollars for the password. So far I am 100% Oregon and 50/50 Idaho. I attached three photos, one of Halfway, Oregon-beautiful little town, long horned sheep I saw along the Snake River just before leaving Oregon and the Salmon River which I followed today for over 30 miles.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like "Children of the Spuds". If those bastards don't lighten up, I'm swearing off potaoes. Hope you got the refill---and then poured it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder potatoes have no personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see trouble in the horizon --you need the kid and the real man with you!! Do you have a raft on your bike in case you have to hit the river!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you expect from a state called "I'da ho."

    ReplyDelete
  5. High Five on finding the WiFi!!! Now take a closer look..it appears both waitresses have horns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please keep that knee healthy. Vic and I are really enjoying reading your blog. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A real man would have grabbed those old goats, I mean waitresses, by the horns and given them a good slap on the backside. This helps direct them in the right direction (it seems to work for my ladies). Maybe you can have your posse (when they show up) chase down all rude drivers and instruct them on the proper biking etiquette.

    ReplyDelete