Friday, May 15, 2009

Hi Dee Ho-Idaho

Woke up this morning to a perfect day in Halfway, Oregon. Not a cloud in the sky. I had a breakfast of strawberries and Gatorade and took my prescribed dose of Motrin that my personal nurse recommended. I dropped of the key, took one last look at the beautiful mountainous backdrop that makes Halfway a nice place to visit and hit the road. From Halfway to Oxbow there was a downhill grade and the temperature was ideal. At Oxbow I made a hard right turn, climbed a small hill and turned pretty much South again except this time I had the Snake River to my left. The Snake is a pretty wide river below the Brownlee Dam and I followed it for 11 miles. It was a perfect day so there were many boats, RVs and fishermen out enjoying the day. Along the way I scared a deer out of its bed and saw three long horned sheep walking the ridge to my right. After biking for over two weeks I finally came to the Brownlee Dam and Idaho. Looking back, it was tough. Oregon is a beautiful, biker friendly state but presents a good challenge for someone who bikes through it, especially in the Spring. And, I felt a huge sense of accomplishment as I crossed the Snake River. I had a pretty good climb up to the top of the Reservoir and then rolling hills till I came to the six mile climb out of the canyon. After climbing out of the canyon I had 17 miles of alternating downhill to level road to Cambridge. But then I started getting slapped in the face with bugs. At one point I looked at the road and it was covered in what I thought were grasshoppers but then realized they were crickets. It looked like the head cricket blew a whistle and they all started crossing the road at the same. I could even hear them crunch as a broke there formation. Welcome to Idaho.

8 comments:

  1. Where are all the potato tree forests? Guess they are further east. Quite a milestone---all the way across the state of Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
    Heigh-ho Silver, away

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Elvira (as Kristi sings)! Good job getting across the big state! You just might be done with the snow for a while! Who was the big mama on the bridge with you? Some baggage you picked up along the way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! One state down, 10 more to go? Run, Forest, RUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto Evie, Run Forest run, then run some more (or should we say ride)! Congratulations!!! I'm have a crown to celebrate!!! Looks like a lot of mountains in Idaho, pace yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations............Break out the margaritas !!

    ReplyDelete