Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stalled

Yesterday was supposed to be a nice, easy, 40 mile ride to Springfield. Started out that way. I was a little cold the night I camped and Kristi and Matt found online, a sporting goods store about a block from my hotel. So I packed and biked there before I departed. I found an insert for my sleeping bag, wool socks, and more thermal underwear and picked their brain for awhile. After gathering my gear, repacking I departed Corvallis a little later than I wanted. But, no problem--just 40 miles with fairly nice conditions, a little overcast but the temperature was around 55. The first ten miles were uneventful, with good views of the mountains to my left and prime farmlands throughout. Several farmers had little stands set up along the way selling plants for regrowing. It wasn't a very busy highway so I doubt they sold very much. The wind picked up a little and since the route had a slight uphill grade I had to gear down. Then the rain started. Light at first, enough just to be annoying so I kept peddling thinking it would stop. It didn't and about ten miles down the road I donned a Walmart waterproof rain jacket. Now the rain is heavy. When I got to Harrisburg, about 23 miles, I stopped at a mini mart for a break. I was soaking wet. I quickly put on a dry shirt and made about five trips to the bathroom changing clothes and repacking again. I've thrown away two short sleeved shirts and a pair of shorts. I drank a sport drink, ate a banana and generally stalled an hour until the rain lighten. Back on the road I am feeling pretty good, I am dry and I have only about 14 miles to Coburg, then six to Springfield. I had gone about five miles and the wind picked up again and the rain started. Then the wind turned to gusts and heavy rain started. At about the worst part of the storm, I noticed a slight shimmy in the back. Oh no, not now, I thought. Yeah, the tire was slowly losing air. I looked for a sheltered place to hide and peddled harder but the leak didn't stop. Fearing I would make matters worse by riding nearly on the rim now, I stopped.Rain, hard rain, and frontal gust like wind. I noticed a farmhouse about two hundred yards across the road and pushed in that direction. Nobody was home, so I pushed another two hundred yards to a sole white framed house. The lady of the house gave me permission to change the tire on the porch. It took about an hour, because of all the gear. I only used the hand pump so I didn't have full pressure in the tire. But the rain had slowed to a drizzle. Riding into Coburg I met three other, loaded bikers doing the trail to Wyoming. They were stopping at Coburg but I had it in my mind to get to Springfield so I pressed on, missing a great opportunity. About five miles from Springfield I am bucking a ten knot headwind with a poorly inflated tire.That,s OK I can make it. Just outside of the town I stopped at a store for a drink and directions to the nearest hotel. Just go down the road, turn left, then turn right on main and you,ll see plenty. About two miles he says. After five I stopped acop and got directions to the Vally Inn where I got the last room available. After shedding my wet clothes and taking a hot shower I turned to the poorly inflated tire.I put the inflater with CO2 on and the tire firmed but when I pulled it away the stem came with it. Damn! What next. I went to get another tube and discovered I had only one more. The other two I bought for the trip are sitting safely at home. Needless to say I replaced the tube very, very carefully. I was beat, whipped and tired. Tomorrow is Sunday, bike shops closed, I am going nowhere. That was yesterday.Today, I found an open bike shop in Eugene and only a seven mile ride from the hotel.I had new tires, and brake pads put on and bought five spare tubes. I rode to and from Eugene through the park without being rained on and gratefully without another flat. The Eugene marathon was taking place through the park and lots of people were out and about, but little traffic. The bike shop was on 5Th Ave. a street similar to 5Th St in Austin, TX. lots of unique shops, bars, and restaurants. Missing the camaraderie with the three bikers yesterday and having an unexpected surprise of the beauty of the city of Eugene reminded me why I set out on this journey in the first place. You might say an elbow to the ribs.

3 comments:

  1. Now you have been baptized as a touring cyclist. At least it wasn't baptism by snow !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always change the name of the blog to "Biking Across Oregon"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on Keeping on. You'll get there!! Hurrah to Matt and Kristi for the help!! Can't wait to hear about more adventures!!

    ReplyDelete