Sunday, May 31, 2009

Old Faithful

I left the town of West Yellowstone today and entered Wyoming and Yellowstone Park. Very soon after entering the park I saw a herd of elk and soon thereafter came the buffalo. I saw hundreds of them. In fact some were running down the road and I couldn't pass. Every time I would start to go around this one huge bull would turn and face me. When he turned, I turned. More people are hurt or killed in the park by buffalo than grizzly bears. So, when he turned and faced me, I did a u-turn. I finally figured out how to get around them with a little protection. I would wait until a car was going by and ride on the opposite side of the critters. My goal today, other than avoiding being trampled to death, was Old Faithful which was only 30 miles inside the west entrance. When I arrived there was dark clouds combined with thunder and lighting. So, I decided to book a cabin. Cheap enough only $65. But soon after I got the cabin the sky cleared and only a few drops of rain fell. Oh well, tomorrow I climb Craig Pass on my way out of Yellowstone so a night in a warm bed suits me just fine. I got a couple of good looks at Old Faithful and passed some of the geysers that Theresa, the kids and I got to see almost 30 years ago. We were stationed at Ellsworth, AFB in Rapid City, S.D. and took one of those military vacations into Yellowstone. I think the cabins are still the same as they were 30 years ago. This trip brings back a lot of memories of the kids especially as they held their noses when we walked through the geyser basin. Memories of a life time, time to go, get in the car. I love you girls.

1 comment:

  1. Rich,
    Recommend you get a camelbak before the heat sinks in. Hydration and a cooling sensation on your back (all for about $70) - sounds too good to be true. Rode 30 yesterday, ran out of water at 20, gas station at 22.

    ReplyDelete