Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hell's Canyon

I climbed Dixie Pass and then camped in the woods at Austin Junction. The next day I in climbed Tipton Pass and Sumpter Pass and rode on to Baker City. I rode on to Baker City because on my Transamerica map it showed it all down hill. Not so fast old wise one. Even though the road followed the Powder River there were still, what the locals call, small hills to climb. When I was about a mile from the top of Sumpter Pass it started snowing. THAT'S SNOWING! I had to stop and put more clothes on and when I screamed to the bottom of the pass I took some off again. Now, I am happily following the Powder River going into Baker City. I was about ten miles from the city when I noticed a huge dark cloud coming over the mountains to my left. I started pedaling faster trying to beat the storm. I had a tailwind so I made good time, but not good enough. About three miles from the city it started....SNOWING again. Not just snowing but ice balls...more like sleet that pelted my exposed fingers and face. And did I say it was cold? I limped into Baker City and got a room at the Bridge Street Inn and immediatly drew a hot bath. I thought I would take a rest day there because of the weather and a little problem I've had with my left knee. But today the weather was much better and the hot soaking bath had reduced the swelling in my knee, so I started out this morning for Richland. On the map again it shows the Powder going almost all the way to Richland, about 40 miles, and it looked to be all down hill, down hill into Hell's Canyon. Correct me if I am wrong Jean but what goes down must come up..right. I got to Richland around 2pm, didn't like the cost of the only hotel I saw and I kept looking at the sign that said Halfway only 13 miles. OK we do about 15 every day on the Island so no be deal. Wrong! About five switchbacks and two hours later I made Halfway...Halfway to what I haven't found out yet. Anyway I am booked here for two days of R&R and knee recovery. I once read or heard or was told by Spoke Man that if you have soreness on the inside of your knee, your seat is too low. If the soreness is on the outside of the knee then your seat is two high. Yesterday I adjusted the seat and today, I raised it a little more. Hopefully with the rest and seat adjustments the soreness will subside. After my R&R I am looking at the Snake River and Idaho.

5 comments:

  1. Keep the multi-media blog going. I've been following your progress, using "street view" and SPOTs to get an idea of the countryside. Like being there---without the sore legs! Quite the adventure---even for those of us in armchairs. Rest all you like, and take care of the legs unapologetically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good going Bro - you are probably in Idaho by now. Ronnie said you need to skip Montana. He has heard it is so pretty there that if you go you won't want to leave! One state down and how many to go????

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Hope your knees are better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw you near sumpter and again leaving baker.... come see us again! You are a brave soul! Next time ask for Andrew at Mad Matilda's Coffee House on Main Street in Baker City, I'll buy you a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete