Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sisters


When I left Ellie's B&B I planned on 35 miles to split the distance to Sisters. That would make me fresh for the climb up Santiam Pass. As I started out no wind no rain, however that didn't last. Five miles out, rain again and a constant uphill grade. I logged the miles but when I started looking for places to sleep most of the campgrounds were closed. The wind and cold rain had taken its' toll and I needed rest. No problem, I have my three season tent and new gear purchased thanks to Kristi and Matt. I looked for a level spot off the road and started spreading my tent while trying to keep it dry. Hard to do. It was only three in the afternoon but I'd had enough for the day. I got some dry clothes on and settle back to rest. The rain was a constant patter on the tent fly and had me worried about getting wet. Now from three till dark what do you do in a tent in the woods when it's raining cold water. Read a book, didn't bring one-make a phone call, no service. So I tried to get comfortable and take a nap. I haven't found the correct way to force myself to go to sleep yet. Finally, the sun went down and I thought I'd sleep better. I was all snuggled in and of course had to go the bathroom. I put my boots on and went out when the rain slackened. As I did my business I started thinking about the photo of the puma the gas station attendant had shot. Quickly I went back to the tent and pulled the sleeping bag around me. What about bears, elk and rabid squirrels? What if a tree falls on me? I pulled my flashlight closer and my little companion even closer. Needless to say I spent a good portion of the night listening to the rain hit the fly and wondering when I'd be jerk out of the tent by my feet.
When the sun came up I got right to it. Still raining. I only had 35 miles to do today but I was nervous because at the end of yesterdays climb my legs were cramping.
Any other time the scenery would have been beautiful, today I didn't see much at all.
In addition to the rain there was fog, not heavy but enough to limit what I could see around me. Frankly, I looked about two feet ahead except when I was encouraging myself to make the sign, or curve guard or tree, anything to keep me moving. I would have liked to have taken a lot of pictures but due to the rain I kept digging. When I got to the summit I couldn't wait to start down. Snow covered most of the mountain so the temperature was much colder but the rain had not turned to snow. There was a six mile descent down the mountain. I now know what Jean experienced on her trip. Yahoo. When I got to the bottom my legs were like stumps and it took several miles before I got feeling back into them. I've got to be honest and say the last to days have been the toughest I've ever experienced on a bicycle. I am sure there are more ahead but for now these two take the cake.

3 comments:

  1. Yes !!! Now I think you know what I was feeling. Did your hands cramp up from feathering the brakes? Were your teeth chattering from the cold? At least I had a warm shower and a soft bed after that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made it to the top and yahooed down. Good for you!!! The more successes, the easier it will get!! Hope you made it to Sisters today. Good weather is ahead!! You go Bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfoot

    In all reality, Sasquatch sightings have been numerous in Oregon, so watch out! Apparently, he travels more when it rains. See the wikipedia link above.

    Wishing you sunny days ahead!

    ReplyDelete